Increasing website security with HTTPS and CAPTCHA
Google has taken great steps in 2018 to advance the web security of its products. An update to their popular Chrome web browser in July of 2018 began marking all websites without HTTPS encryption as “Not Secure.”
If your website has been affected by this change, you must adopt HTTPS encryption (also known as a secure sockets layer, or SSL). By installing HTTPS encryption, you will also enjoy these benefits:
- Prevent Hackers and Information Leaks: Having an HTTPS certificate installed helps keep hackers at bay and ensures your user’s information stays safe.
- Increase Visibility: Google search results prioritize websites with HTTPS. If your website has it, you have a higher chance of reaching your customers.
- Build Trust: Most modern web browsers will alert users when the website they are viewing does not have HTTPS enabled. Installing it will let your users know you’re serious about keeping their personal information safe.
- Peace of Mind: Installing and maintaining HTTPS provides you with the latest internet security protocols, and ensures all your web traffic is encrypted and secured.
Another method of increasing website security is to employ CAPTCHA. If your website includes a contact or user registration form, using CAPTCHA security will reduce the likelihood of your website being abused by bots or receiving unsolicited content. The benefits of CAPTCHA security include:
- Prevent Fake Account Registration: User registration forms without CAPTCHA are susceptible to automated, non-human signups. CAPTCHA security makes it much more difficult for fake accounts to be created.
- Prevent Spam: Public comment and contact forms can be abused by bots. CAPTCHA verification works to prevent bot abuse and can help prevent unwanted content being published on your website.